Subject: Re: LW 4.0 Render Farming
From: [email-masked] (Bryan Blevins)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 19:11:06 -0800

>How do you set up a rendering farm? Lets say I've got a 486 and I want 
>to add a Pentium or a DEC Alpha, or any combination there of. Can they 
>be any MHZ and if so are there combinations that won't work? At what 
>point is a slower CPU just not worth having in series? I'm under the 
>impression that as CPUs get faster, and over time I up grade, that 
>rendering chores can be distributed in such a way that old CPUs have a 
>longer life. Am I off base? Thanks for the input.
>Der Lensmeister.   
>
>--
You'll need to add a network card to each system in the farm and use
network software that will let you mount HD's over the network. (The
WindowsNT/WfWG3.11 network software works fine)

You may use any MHz system you want. I would recommend using your slowest
system as the host as it will not be doing any rendering, but instead
sending commands to the other systems.

Bryan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bryan J. Blevins             Clothes make the man.  Naked people have   
Blevins Enterprises, Inc.      little or no influence on society.
[email-masked]                       -- Mark Twain
http://bei.moscow.com/

--
[email-masked] (Bryan Blevins) sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]